Sunday, March 4, 2007

Let's boycott Arcade Fire

Mr Win Butler says in Voir this week that it's not true that Arcade Fire provoke their hype behind a deceitful innocent façade. He says it's the people who make those critics that create the hype. Well, Mr Butler, who chose to sell 50 extra tickets each day of your shows in Montreal, New York and God knows where? Who chose to throw a secret show in a church, of which only well-informed people, or people with a good adress book should I say, were informed? I got in one of the Ukrainian Federation show by contact myself, and you know what, I don't feel particularly proud of that. I must admit it gets pretty exciting when it's extra-ordinary, but having access to a permanent VIP pass to everything just makes people pretentious and shallow.
This whole stuff about lining up by -30 in the night reminds me of the techniques used by sects to enroll members. Basically, you just have them undergo a drastic physical and emotional experience in order to put them in a state of emotional weakness that will allow new ideas and doctrines to set in their minds more easily. I went to see the line-up for only half an hour, and I can tell you that those people suffered, even if getting their tickets made them forget everything.
I'm not saying that Arcade Fire shouldn't be doing what they're doing. They deserve success and they can use all the publicity techniques they want to make it increase, as long as it's legal. They just can't say they're not pushing it.
As for me, I'm gonna concentrate on other bands. There's tons of good stuff out there that don't need to know this guy or that one to see them live.

4 comments:

Julie Delporte said...

Yeah ! I agree with my bad english

Cryptisemita said...

First of all, let me say that I am impressed with your English - I had no idea you were so bilingual.

Second of all, I do have to say I don`t get it - do you want to boycott the band, or simply fire a warning shot across their bow with a stern and menacing headline? Was it just to make sure they wake up and smell the threat of articulate, well-informed fans who aren`t willing to stand in line to eat shit so that others may profit...

Flavie said...

No, of course I don't want to organize a boycott... it would make me lose my time and give them more publicity!
I just wanted the people who listen to them to realize that a band doesn't need that kind of strategies if they're really good. I think Arcade Fire could've become a 'cult' band anyway without putting that shit together, it just makes it fake.
As for me, I stopped listening to their new album and I won't try to see them live anymore.

Cryptisemita said...

There's a long list of bands that stretches down all the way to hell and back up and around the planet five or six times before threading itself through the entire north american sewer system like so many reams of used up asswipe that I would have accused of such shitty behaviour before thinking of Win Butler and band in such ways, but the clarity of your conviction leaves little choice but to believe. It breaks my heart, but I'm on board. Fuckem!